foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: Oceanaire

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Oceanaire

I'm in Indianapolis, yo! So I was chillin it, true midwest style. After driving around northern Indiana all day, once we cruised back into the big city, we had to eat real food. Sure, we were starving and had stopped at Arby's for a quick bite, but once we got downtown, we had to get a proper meal. After walking around a tiny bit, we just decided to go to Oceanaire. It's a chain, but I'd never been. And after looking at their website, guess what? There's one in Philly.
It's a fairly nice restaurant. They've got tons of seafood, a wide selection at the raw oyster bar, and an extremely large wall of booze. And lots of stuffed fish on the walls. We hung out at the bar during this visit. The bartender was very cool and treated us well.
They give you complimentary fresh baked sourdough bread. Dude, this bread is good! And it comes with a plate of random stuff - pickled herring, raw veggies, and olives. It's an odd mix, but I'm sure there's a reason for it, I just don't know it. I've never had pickled herring before, you know I'm not jewish or swedish, so I had to try it. Well, it wasn't bad. It just tastes like a really strong tasting fish that's been pickled. I wouldn't order and entire dish of it or anything, but I didn't mind it at all. I was proud of myself for trying.
While waiting for our food, the chef sent us a little appetizer which was basically a tortilla chip, topped with a salsa-like concoction which included crab meat. Oh man, this thing was awesome. I wish I could have had a whole bucketful of these happy chips.
We both got the oceanaire chopped salad and a bowl of clam chowder. The chopped salad was just the right size. Small, but not too small. It came with lettuce, tomato, hard boiled egg, a big ass slice of parmesan, bay shrimp, and crab, in a greek vinaigrette. The clam chowder was really quite awesome, some of the bet chowder I've had in a long time, and it was surprisingly large. Neither of us could finish our bowls! It's swanky seafood, so it ain't cheap, but definitely worth trying.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home