foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: Revisiting Monk's

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Revisiting Monk's

It seems like I've been visiting a lot of places lately that I haven't been to in a gazillion years. It happened again when I went to Monk's. I think I've been to Monk's a couple of times. Once was awhile ago and I remember eating something perhaps rabbit-y, trying fois gras for the first time, and also trying the frites. I also remember coming here and trying hoegaarden for the first time. Come to think of it, I've had a bit of firsts here!
We looked at the menu beforehand and both agreed that we wanted stew. They have a belgian beef and beer stew made with local grass fed beef, slow cooked in Chimay Grand Reserve with local root vegetables. How can you not love the sound of that? We told them we were going to share it, so they brought it out in separate bowls and gave us strange but tasty rolls each. I can't really describe the roll, it seemed to have raisins in it, but it wasn't sweet enough to be raisin. Does anyone know? In any case, the stew was delicious! I wish we'd had a giant vat of it, it was so good.
We also got an order of the pommes frites. You have to! The waiter forgot about them, so we didn't end up getting them until after the stew, but that was ok. We didn't mind, we just ate them along with the additional beers. I love these fries, but I just wish they were longer pieces of fry, instead of little tiny stubs. Otherwise, I still love these. It comes with their famous bourbon mayo. Monk's is definitely a beer place, so get ready to drink. Since I was still sick, I didn't really drink much, but the little sips I had were certainly tasty.

We had a great server. He was almost overly friendly and helpful? We started talking about JJ Abrams for some reason and he started going off about Lost and the Star Trek movie and whether we'd seen the trailer. Then later on, he brought over his iPhone and made us watch the trailer on his iPhone. It was bizarre, yet it amused us. We appreciated his enthusiasm!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At March 1, 2009 at 9:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

olive roll?

 
At March 3, 2009 at 4:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there... I worked at Monk's for ages, and its definitely a Le Bus olive roll. They are good, aren't they!

 
At March 3, 2009 at 8:53 PM , Blogger Foodzings said...

that's cool, and i don't even like olives... it's a miracle i didn't mind it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home