foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: Adventures in Overeager Waitressing, Yakitori Style

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Adventures in Overeager Waitressing, Yakitori Style

J wanted yakisoba. And I could not fail. I don't mind failing. Not ever. I've done it plenty of times in my life. But when it comes to food, how could I fail? It was not going to happen. I searched and searched and searched, but really only came up with one option - Yakitori Boy. So off we went.

So don't get the wrong idea, Yakitori Boy does not have yakisoba on their menu. But that wasn't going to stop me. It was friday night, a bit on the later side, we had no problem getting a table. Our server? Oh boy, was she a character. And by character I mean yakker. She just talked and talked and talked and talked. Whew! So much that we just found her to be comical, even though she was beyond earnest and just trying really hard to earn her pay. Gosh, I wish I could remember her name.

Anyhoo, I got the tempura soba. I think I had the tempura udon last time. I remembered it was good, so I thought I'd get the soba variety this time. This time around, the shrimp tempura actually came with my soup. Last time, it game separately, probably due to poor planning. This was just fine. I find these japanese noodle soups to be so simple, yet tasty and hearty. And I love soba noodles just as much as I love the thicker udon noodles. And just like last time (sorry I'm so boring folks), I got the tako yaki. Do you remember these? They're balls of dough with octopus on the inside, topped with some sauces and bonito shavings. These were good, as usual. But I think they may have been a little undercooked. Maybe not, but I wished that the dough was a bit more cooked on the inside. Still good though. So I told you that yakisoba was not on the menu, but we asked our eager beaver waitress if we could order that. She asked the kitchen and they said yes. So J ordered beef yakisoba. Then she came back and said chicken or pork. So he went with the chicken. So when it came out, it tasted like yakisoba, but it looked like one hot mess. The noodles weren't really noodles, but broken noodle bits. There wasn't a noodle longer than half an inch. Presentation wise, it was quite tragic. I guess that's what we get for forcing someone to make something they don't normally make. But it tasted fine. I ate a bunch of the cabbage, because I love me some cabbage.
As for what else J ordered, well, it was this little fish. This little whole fish. He had wanted the sea bass, but they had just ran out. Boo. So one of the specials of the night was this whole aji, which is some kind of mackerel. It was small, it was bony, and it was fishy. It was very much from the sea, and smelled and tasted like it. My mom would have loved this. J? Not so much. But A for effort in trying to get as much meat off of this little sucker as humanly possible.
This light fixture? I just liked it. I like how this place looks - very clean lines, simple, lots of dark wood. It was a really fun night. The food was good, if not amusing, and the service was also good, despite our waitress - little miss talkerson / little miss overattentive.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home