foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: El Vez

Monday, July 28, 2008

El Vez

I don't remember the last and only time I went to El Vez. It was years ago, and I only had drinks and perhaps some nachos. I just remember it being very colorful. And I didn't remember the food, or the drinks. E and O wanted to go there on Sunday night, so we trekked on over on a muggy evening.
They have a big bar in the middle, with a kick ass tricked out bike on top that spins. I totally want to take this bike home with me. They also have a photo booth. And on the far edge of the restaurant, there are booths, but theses are fancy booths, with really funky velvety fabric. I could have rubbed this fabric forever.
Guacamole, and lots of it. The original. Everybody loved it. Good chips too. Yey for El Vez chips.
J got the chipotle chicken tacos. I dug the presentation on this fancy plate. The tacos were tiny though, and I appreciate anything topped off with shredded radishes. He also got a side of rice and beans, which came with pickled onions on top. He wasn't all that into the rice and beans.
O got the mahi mahi tacos and the grilled corn on the cob with lime chipotle and queso fresco. He liked the tacos, but he said the corn wasn't all that great.

E got a special, which was some kind of veal dish. I'm guessing veal enchiladas with a verde sauce. She said it was good, but she didn't eat too much of it. And J refused to try it because he won't eat veal. Boo.

I got the lobster and crab enchiladas. Oh boy, were these good. It came in a wondrous red gravy/sauce thingy, thick and sweet. It had good chunks of lobster and crab and I just really liked it. I was a bit surprised at how good this was.

Service was good, but we felt slightly rushed. Well, maybe not rushed, but they were a bit too eager to clean the table, as if they were too attentive. It was early on a Sunday and the place was fairly empty, but they still wanted to move us along. Perhaps they were just bored and needed something to do, so they just decided to clean up lots and quickly. The food was good, but you know, a swanky mexican restaurant isn't exactly my scene. Give me a dirty tacqueria over a stephen starr restaurant any day of the week, but I still had a good time and good food here. I wasn't drinking that night, but everyone else was drinking plenty of mojitos for me, but I could definitely see myself coming back here for a drink or two.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home