foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: The Great Korean Grocery Store War

Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Great Korean Grocery Store War

We wanted to catch the taiko show, but had a bunch of time to kill, so we decided to explore some more of this part of new jersey. It's chock full of asian neighborhoods. We wanted to go to an H Mart, and googled for one in Fort Lee. Then we got there, and it wasn't even in existence yet. FAIL. One of the only times google has ever failed me. Don't think I won't remember this google!
Luckily, we found another one, an open one, nearby in Ridgefield. This one was a Super H Mart. What makes it so super? Well, it was pretty damn big. And it had more little shops in it than any other asian market I'd ever been too. It almost seemed like a little korean mall was attached to it. And man, did they give out free samples! It was awesome! Because it was such a huge store, there were tons of samples being given out. They usually do that at the one by me, but my H Mart is so small that if there are samples, it's one or two things. Let's just say that we got quite full with samples!The crazy thing was that on our way to this Super H Mart, we passed by the grand opening of H&Y Marketplace. I didn't know what this was, but after a quick google, I found out it was another korean supermarket! Practically next to the H Mart. Seriously, it's like 100 yards away. They could share parking lots if they really tried.
I can't say that I have a preference, but the H&Y was much more attractively decorated on the inside. As if they were catering to a slightly more sophisticated crowd, more of a whole foods crowd, while stocking the same exact food as H Mart. It's smaller though, and the aisles seem quite narrow. They had tons of free samples as well. I loved them both!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home