foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: Honey's Holiday Brunch

Monday, December 24, 2007

Honey's Holiday Brunch

I'd been wanting to go to Honey's Sit 'n Eat for... well, forever. And it just didn't happen. Luckily, my sister in law actually likes to go out for brunch, so she was on my side. The whole fam trekked out to the big city for Sunday brunch. Upon approach, we started seeing snow. We all went "it's snowing!" Never mind that it was 60 degrees and raining, we honestly thought that we saw flakes. Alas, it was a suds contraption that had been rigged above Honey's to fake snow. It was pretty cool.





It was packed, as expected, but because it was a bit later, they told us it would be a 40 minute wait. Not the end of the world. Luckily, it really only ended up being about 20 minutes. It was fine though, because it was unseasonably mild and we could hang outside and not freeze our butts off. We got a great table right in front of the window.




When we first sat down, they brought us some water and some menus, and then proceeded to pretty much ignore us. I've read that the service can be spotty. We flagged down someone so we could get some coffee, and when we asked this one particular worker that we wanted something, she seemed surprised. As if to say "oh, right, I work here". But then when our actual server showed up, it was much better. She was friendly, attentive, and also wearing the tightest jeans I'd ever seen in my life (even my mom couldn't not comment on them).

The menu is extensive, and there are also daily specials. My bro went with the 3 eggs and pastrami. You also get to pick some sides, and he went with challah toast and a latke. It's quite a lot of food. He liked it. My mom got the peach french toast. It was several good sized chunks of challah french toast with a peach topping (I'm thinking frozen peach?) and maple syrup. She loved it.

My sister in law went with a giant bowl of grits and a latke. I've actually never eaten grits before. Or at least not a plain old bowl of it. I think I might have helped someone make cheesy grits before (with real hominy and all) and that was fine, but it's not something that I would ever think to order, let alone choose to eat. I tasted this, and it tasted well, you know, completely flavorless. She'd put practially a pound of butter in it, so it tasted a bit milky and buttery, but that was just about it. Definitely not exciting. But she's crazy about grits. She grew up with it, I definitely did not. The first time I ever even heard of grits was during high school, when on a band trip to some southern city (yes, I was in the band), we stopped at the Cracker Barrel and they kept asking us if we wanted grits. We were all "what the hell is this grits?" Heck, I only found out what hominy was about 5 years ago.

I ordered the enfrijoladas with veggie sausage, and a side of mac and cheese. So I definitely did not need to order both! I probably ate maybe almost one of the enfrijoladas. There were two big ones, topped with all kinds of microgreens and red onions and sauces and what not. It was good. And there were big giant hunks of veggie sausage, that was particularly tasty. I'm not too into regular sausage, but this veggie sausage I could definitely get into. I also liked the mac and cheese quite a bit. It wasn't mild, it was very sharp and cheesy, but good.
All in all, a fun dining experience. Good food, affordable, big portions. Aside from initial hipster surliness, but service was good. Our server also had a great sense of humor, as she kidded with my sister in law about how she had barely touched her grits. I can see why so many people like this place.
Honey's Sit 'n Eat
800 N 4th St
Philadelphia, PA 19123
215-925-1150

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home