foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: H Mart Eatings

Friday, November 23, 2007

H Mart Eatings

I had the fortune of eating at the H Mart food court in Upper Darby a couple of times this past Thanksgiving week. It sure beats other crappy fast food. It's fast, but so not crappy. A ordered dukpoki, a perennial favorite of mine. It was good, as usual, but tasted slightly different than before. Still good though. She thought it was just fine. I actually tried to make dukpoki the other week. It was an experiment. It didn't turn out very well, at least certainly not restaurant-worthy, but it wasn't horrible. I was able to eat it and enjoy it, at least slightly.


There are a few food stuffs that I crave regularly. One is chicken teriyaki from mall food court places. Seriously, this is no joke. I get this every two weeks or so for lunch, because my body needs it. The other thing is the tonkatsu from Monsieur Tong Tong's at the H Mart food court. I could eat this all the time. Tonkatsu is a japanese dish, of panko crusted pork cutlet with a sweet sauce. It's huge. Just look at it. There's no scale from this photo, but believe you me, that is a huge ass plate. It's a giant piece of pork cutlet. You can easily make this at home and you can buy pre-made tonkatsu sauce, but really, this place is the best. Their sauce is heavenly. And it always comes with a little macaroni salad, some corn salad, shredded cabbage, and rice. Yum, yum, and yum.




On my second visit, I ordered the dolsot bibimbap for C to eat. He wouldn't pick anything, so I had to do the picking for him. I knew it would be a safe bet, as I had fed him some regular bibimbap my mom had made a few weeks ago, and he enjoyed that. Plus, the crackling of the food in the hot ass bowl adds for dramatic effect. It was ok, I've had better, but it was a bit mild and heavy on the sesame oil side. But it did make the table hot, literally.


What did I eat? I went with yukkaejang, one of my favorite korean dishes of all time. I haven't eaten in a long time, but my grandmom makes pretty good yukkaejang. Hers is spicy and heavy on the sprouts. This one did not have any sprouts, but it did have enoki mushrooms, wood ear mushrooms, too many scallions, fern bracken (the brown woodsy stuff), and clear noodles. It was spicy, but not freakishly so. How do you eat this? You scoop up some rice in your spoon, dunk your spoon into the stew to grab some of the goodies in your spooon, then shovel and chew. So good. It's the perfect thing to eat on a cold ass day (think the equivalent of pho, if you wanted korean food).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home