foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: Soup Time

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Soup Time

Remember the beautiful dutch oven that I got for christmas last year? I finally busted it out again. I picked up an old copy of the Moosewood cookbook from a yard sale earlier this summer, and with the weather being all cold and crappy, it got me in the mood to make soup. I decided to make some succotash chowder. First I cooked up some onion, garlic, and celery with some basil and thyme. I don't like celery, so I left mine purposely huge so I could easily fish them out later. Meanwhile, I had soaked the lima beans for many hours and had been simmering them. I'd also cooked up some potatoes.


You then add some frozen corn. I had gotten some extra sweet organic sweet corn from TJ's.


You then add the lima beans in there. I also took some of this mix and pureed it with an immersion blender (a new toy I'd just picked up for future soup making) to make the soup thicker.


And to finally chowderize it, the potatoes and milk are added.


I removed the celery at this point. So the mistake I made was that the lima beans weren't cooked enough. I followed the recipe, but I should have followed the instructions on the bean bag instead. I should have soaked them for hours longer and certainly cooked them even longer. They turned out crunchy, which isn't very appetizing. So mostly, I just ended up fishing around the lima beans. The rest of the chowder itself was quite fine.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home