foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: Eating Out at Pink Taco

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Eating Out at Pink Taco

Yes folks, I said it. Can you blame me? If you eat at a restaurant called Pink Taco, you have to joke about it a bit. :-)

So after our fried snacks, we went for a real meal at Pink Taco. You've probably heard of it because it's owned by Harry Morton or something, one of the names that's been associated with Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan or the like. It's a chain too. In Vegas, you can get your very own pink tacos at the Hard Rock. We had a long wait, so we did a tiny bit of gambling. Nobody did very well, except for A who won a bunch on the Wheel of Fortune slots, but then lost it all later. It's fun anyways.

So Pink Taco. Yes, Pink Taco. I read up a little bit on it, and it's gotten terrible reviews. So I prepared myself for the worst. People don't go there for the food. People go there because it has an amusing name, and they're drunk and hungry. We were hungry, and we thought it was a hilarious name.


They give you free chips! Yes, I love free stuff in Vegas. The chips were extremely greasy. You get three different types of salsas. I thought the chipotle one was the best. It wasn't all that great, but it was the one I liked the most. But seriously, these chips were just a bit too greasy. They make their own tortillas, so I imagine they may actually make these chips. They should think about degreasing these a bit!

We ordered some guacamole. It was $7. It was ok, but nothing enthralling. For $7, it should have been fabulous. Honestly, I think the guac you can buy at Trader Joe's is far better. It is pretty looking though, and I like that they threw the pit in the dish. Very artistic.


T ordered the tamales. I didn't taste them, but they look alright. They were pretty big. L got some kind of salad, I believe it may be the chicken tostada salad. It's also rather attractive, or at least colorful. She said it was pretty good.


A, our bachelorette, went with the namesake - the pink tacos. They are chicken tacos on corn tortillas that are pink, because of the pickled onions. It came with a huge ass pile of rice, see? I didn't taste the entire taco, but I did taste the pink. It was indeed pickled onions. A sour onion. Not bad really.


C went with the carnitas tacos and I went with the carne asada tacos. Basically, she got pork tacos and I got beef. My tacos weren't terrible. They were ok. The beans were strangely spicy. There was a weird spicy kick to them. I had to eat them along with the rice because the spiciness just threw me. The rice was blah. It was a bit too crunchy and wasn't really flavored. It came only on one tortilla. When you get real mexican tacos, you always get two tortillas. Pink Taco, use two tortillas per taco, because they fall apart quite easily.


The service was ok. We were in a booth, and they were these weird tall booths, so when you sat, I couldn't touch the floor with my feet. I know I'm short y'all, but I'm not that short. It's a bit weird. It was like sitting on stools, but in a booth. Took some getting used to. So their food is alright. They do have quite an impressive tequila selection, pretty much anything you would want is there. So even if the food ain't great, you could just get wasted on top shelf tequila.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At August 17, 2007 at 9:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey...I liked the food at pink taco! The Pink Taco's, pork taco's and L's giant salad were all good. Maybe not worth the price paid, but still tasty. However I was drunk, so that might have something to do with my opinion! The guac wasn't worth $7, but tasty none the last. But for $7, they better through in a lap dance.

 
At April 22, 2008 at 3:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I created the Pink Taco restaurant & bar concept and opened the original in May 1998 -- a year before the Mortons opened their first.

The controversy and community response to their version is tame compared to what I faced in ultra-conservative Manhattan, Kansas. We had aggressive picketers, petitioners, hate letters, anonymous threats, an onslaught of negative letters-to-the-editor, and police
discrimination.

There were many stories in the local papers. The ABC affiliate out of Topeka came to Manhattan and did an on-site story that ran state-wide on the evening news, and the CBS affiliate invited us to join them in-studio for their half-hour morning show (which we declined since things were spiraling out of control).

I would do Internet searches at the time that would call up page after page of hits about me and my store. My Pink Taco dominated the regional news and spread nationwide through online postings and reprinted stories in towns across the country.

Anyway, I have written an article recounting the history of the original Pink Taco and the intense controversy it caused (complete with pictures and links to about a dozen of the news stories). You can read it on my blog if you're interested:
http://helpmestartauniversity.com/2008/04/17/the-amazing-true-story-of-the-original-pink-taco-restaurant-bar/

If that link isn’t hot, just click on my name and take that route instead.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home