foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: Definitely not the American Heart Association dinner

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Definitely not the American Heart Association dinner

M invited me to "play" quizzo on tuesday night at Barristers. It was something hosted by the Philadelphia Econony League, and was focused on questions related to Issues Philadelphia. So basically, I didn't know the answers to any of the questions. But it was fun to watch a lot of city employees get so competitive. M's team did not win. What was winning however, was my extremely healthy appetizer of chili cheese fries. Yum! When you order fries at Barristers, they always come with a mix of regular fries and sweet potato fries. I have a soft spot for sweet potatoes, and an even softer spot for sweet potato fries. They laid a heaping of chili on top and an even bigger heaping of cheez whiz. I quite enjoyed it. The chili itself wasn't very good. It was very dry, so I didn't eat too much of it. But there was something magical about the combination of sweet potato fries and extremely savory fake cheese.


We then headed over to the Naked Chocolate Cafe to round out our healthy meal with chocolate for dinner. On this particular night, there was a live jazz duo playing. Patrons came in and out while we were there. So for those of you that are crazy about chocolate, this is literally going to be like a kid in a candy store time. They serve all types of chocolate drinks and chocolate desserts. They also offer teas and other non-chocolate desserts. But it's all dessert though. There's no sandwiches or anything. Now I'm not actually crazy about chocolate. I do like it, but if I had a choice of ice creams, I would rarely pick chocolate, and again, if I had a choice of cakes, I would rarely pick chocolate. But I'm crazy about hot chocolate. In winter, me and Swiss Miss have a special connection.
We ordered a frozen drinking chocolate. It's basically is a giant chocolate drink, emphasis on giant, with tons of whipped cream and chocolate shavings on top. There are different varieties of this, and we went with the Aztec one, which had some nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves. It was extremely strong, decadent, and indulgent. Perhaps, it was a bit too bittersweet and too chocolatey for me. M and I shared this, and we kept thinking to ourselves, how could we possibly drink/eat all of this? Then we watched a couple sitting near us, who had ordered one for each, and they drank both in like 5 minutes. I was impressed, and yet also disturbed at the same time.

I also had a caramel infused waffle which was covered in chocolate and then rolled in chocolate crunchies. Oh my goodness. It tasted just like advertised. It was so good. The other things that looked really appealing to me were the chocolate covered pretzels of all different flavors. M ordered one chocolate ganache truffle type thing. She loved it. I certainly don't suggest to others that you make a meal out of Naked Chocolate Cafe. But for dessert and for chocolate nuts, then this is definitely the place for you.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At June 24, 2007 at 12:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your chocolate drink looks like a rip off of the Frozen Hot Chocolate from Serendipity in NYC. Those are good and huge. I think 3 of us shared one.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home