foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: Another random Conshy restaurant

Monday, June 18, 2007

Another random Conshy restaurant

S was in town from LA last week and she took us out to eat at the Stonewell Restaurant, a local Conshohocken sushi / korean joint. It's in an unfortunate location on very busy Ridge pike, and in a homely standalone building. I think it used to be a different sushi/korean place, but now it's called the Stonewell. Whatever.


The coolest thing about the joint is that when you walk in, there's a big stuffed hammerhead shark looking at you. This is definitely the first sushi restaurant I've been to who enjoys displaying taxidermy. The place itself on the inside is hideously 80's with bad pink wallpaper and really 80's furniture. It's fairly small, with a tiny little sushi bar. When we went, there was only a handful of people there. It made me feel a bit sad.

The menu is standard sushi/japanese fare with a smattering of korean dishes thrown in. I'm assuming koreans own the place. Most sushi places are run by koreans, whereas most korean places are not run by japanese, so my assumption is probably a pretty good one. I went with dolsot bibimbap, which is the mixed rice in the hot sizzling stone bowl. It comes with all the fixins laid on top, and you mix it yourself with however much of the spicy kochujang you want. I like mine spicy. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. It's the best bibimbap you'll find in Conshohocken! Ha!


S got hwae dup bap, which is mixed rice topped with a bunch of sashimi. I'm not sure why, but I never eat this stuff. I mean I like the mixed rice part and I like sashimi, but I guess I just choose not to mix the stuff together. She seemed to like her food just fine. It's definitely a very pretty dish.

I guess if you're really hankering for korean food and you can't stray far from where the Stonewell is, then it will serve your needs. But really, you should drive the few miles down the street to Norristown and go to August Moon. It's far superior, even though that's in a rather ghetto area. The service at the Stonewell was rather slow. It was one little lady, she was probably the wife, and the guy making the sushi was probably the husband. I wonder if it gets hopping at night?
Stonewell Restaurant
415 W Ridge Pike
Conshohocken, PA
610-828-6221

2 Comments:

At November 5, 2007 at 2:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there last week. Some friends of mine recommended it. I think the place is kinda homey..nothing stuffy. Loved the shark too. Well I went on a Sat. night and it was pretty busy. I had some really great sushi rolls and tried some Korean. It was spicy but was some of the best Korean food I've had in a long time. August Moon? No way and overpriced. I don't care what it looks like, as long as the food is good and the service is good!

 
At November 24, 2007 at 5:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have been going to the Stonewell for many years and it has always been excellent. Anyone who really knows what they are talking about will find the food far superior to many Korean or Japanese restaurants. The quality is comparable to good restaurants we have been to in NY, but far less expensive. In addition, we have always had great service from everyone in the family. This all makes up for the campy pink decor.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home