foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: Jonesing for an Amish bread fix

Sunday, March 4, 2007

Jonesing for an Amish bread fix

Today, I drove all the way to Ambler to pick up some Amish peach crack from my friend who had gone to Shady Maple the day before. Shady Maple is a smorgasbord and a farm market. The smorgasbord is very very large, and not for the faint of heart. I've only been there once, and this was probably over 7 years ago now, but I never forgot the most wonderous thing I found there - peach bread. You see this is peach crumb bread. With big chunks of peaches (probably not fresh, but don't worry, it doesn't matter), and a crumb topping. It's Delicious with a capital D. Plus, at the smorgasbord they serve it with a whipped butter, which just eases onto that bread like, well, whipped butter onto bread. I don't remember anything else I ate that day (I have vague recollections of some good mac and cheese and possibly seeing a shoo-fly pie) but I never ever forgot about that bread. Then my friend told me she was going there and all those feelings came rushing back. I had to have that bread! I didn't go crazy and only had her get me 2 loaves. But I couldn't even wait until Monday to get it. Heck, I would have gotten it on Saturday (she went on Saturday morning) but by golly, I had alot of crap to do. So I had to wait a day. But went I did this morning and got my fix. It was as good as I had remembered, if not better. Oh my Amish bretheren, how I love thee and your baked good ways...

Since I was in the neighborhood, I made a quick stop at Assi Market in North Wales. This is the competitor of H Mart, but I don't think they have to worry as they're not at all close to each other in locality. This is the really big Korean market in the suburbs. It used to be an actual regular grocery store, so it has luxuriously wide aisles and is brightly lit. They also had a food court so I had a little lunch, but I forgot to take a picture (damn, I was that hungry) so I won't pontificate on it. There were no random tuna fish heads around at Assi though, thank goodness. But speaking of fish, I was compelled to take a picture of the dried fish shelves. All kinds of dried fish. For cooking, for snacking, for using as flavoring. It probably looks a bit disturbing to some of you, but believe me, if you grew up with it, you too would be drooling looking at that cartoon squid on the packaging. Yum.

1 Comments:

At March 6, 2007 at 10:06 PM , Blogger Taylor said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. Not related to this post, but did I read that you live in Kennett Square? I lived there for two years. Oh, the smell!

ricedream24 (at) hotmail (dot) com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home