foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: Cuban birthday bash

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Cuban birthday bash

On Saturday I went to my first birthday party for 3 year old twin girls. I love party food because I love appetizer and hors d'oeuvre type of stuff. I never order that type of stuff when I go out to eat, but I love to eat it at parties. Half of the party is of Cuban descent, so there were lots of Cuban dishes. But there was certainly one of my favorite classic party foods - deviled eggs! I love me some deviled eggs. And these were delish.
We also had cheese and crackers, some fruit, some 7-layer dip (or 7-ish), guacamole from Whole Foods (surprisingly zesty and good), and a baked brie for the appetizer type stuff. For entrees, we had Cuban goodness - rice and black beans, tortilla (not Mexican tortilla), baked ziti, salad, and tamal en cazuela.

The rice and black beans were great. The hostess said she had messed up the beans, but then the host miraculously salvaged them. I wouldn't have even noticed. The tortilla is not flat round flour or corn based coverings for tacos or burritos. It's an egg dish, and this one had potatoes in it. Baked in a round dish, sort of like a fritatta. I didn't eat it, but I heard it was a bit bland. The ziti were delish, but nothing even came close to the tamal en cazuela. Basically, the tamal is if you took tamale innards, and didn't put them in the corn husks to physically make tamales. Instead, you cooked it in a pot. Normally, they make it with chunks of pork, but because the hosts were vegetarian, abuela made this version meat free. But it was still great. But I'm sure it would have been heavenly if it had big chunks of pork in it. As Anthony Bourdain says, everything tastes better with pork.

There was cake, of course, and crazy 3 year old girls putting out candles when they wish, not when we were done singing. They also do a great job of eating rice with their hands. I had no idea that this party would have so much food, and such excellent Cuban food. The best 3 year-old twin birthday party ever.

2 Comments:

At February 28, 2007 at 1:27 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Anthony Bourdain is usually right. Looks like it was a delicious party!

 
At March 1, 2007 at 7:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog makes me hungry! Damn you! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home