foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: Quick weekend Korean fix

Sunday, February 4, 2007

Quick weekend Korean fix

My mom invited us to come to H Mart for dinner on Saturday night. It's something I love to do because it's close, there's lots to choose from, and it's good. Now we did not eat in the H Mart but there is a food court above it. There's good variety, including Korean, Japanese, and Korean/Chinese. I hadn't eatn any Korean in awhile, so I opted for something very Korean - dolsot bibimbap. Bibimbap literally means mixed rice. It includes veggies and some meat mixed with rice and a spicy pepper paste (kochujang), and you just mix it together and eat. The dolsot part means it comes in a burning hot stone bowl, so that everything is hot, hot, hot when you eat it, and if you let your rice stick to the bowl, it will crisps up nicely into a burnt crunchy snack. You can make it as spicy as you want or not, by adjusting how much of the kochujang to put in. I like mine spicy! It also came with the obligatory kimchi (which was very bland) and a couple other banchan, plus some soup. The soup was quite good!

My mom opted for some seafood udon from the sushi place. She wanted something healthy. Z also opted from the sushi place, getting a couple of avocado and cucumber rolls and a shrimp tempura roll. They made it fresh for him, and it was all quite good. There's a stall there called "Monsieur Tong Tong", which makes "fried chicken" and certain other more fried dishes. They have an excellent Japanese tonkatsu. It's HUGE and the sauce is quite good. And you get a bunch of side dishes. It's definitely for sharing. At "Chew Young Roo" they have alot of dumplings and buns and specialize in Korean-Chinese noodle dishes, like champong (spicy seafood noodle soup) and chajangmyun (noodles in black bean sauce). I often pick something from them as well. It's nothing to write home about, but it's good for fast Korean food!

Friday was pizza day for lunch, but I was in a training class all day so they catered some sandwiches for us. They had one of my favorites, chicken salad on a croissant, and they also had some of the best grilled green beans I'd ever had. They were smoky, crunchy, and had a slightly asian-esque flavor. I wanted to eat the whole giant bowl! Speaking of eating the whole giant bowl, ESPN2 showed a bunch of reruns on professional eating competitions on Sunday. Sometimes, I dream of getting into competitive eating. Perhaps it's something I'll have to try out once in life. I'm just not sure what I would pick as the food of choice!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home