foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: Universal Cafe Brunch

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Universal Cafe Brunch

The mission is a pretty big area. Most of the time, we stayed in the mission dolores area. But there's so much more. We ventured out to a totally different part of the mission for brunch. Universal Cafe is actually kind of in between the mission and potreto hill. It was a lot of blocks away.
We anticipated a wait, but it wasn't actually as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe 10 minutes, tops. We sat at the counter and saw all the action. A delicious cafe au lait, served with real silver. Or at least I thought it looked like real silver.
J got one of the specials, which was some kind of short rib ragu with fried egg and fresh cranberry beans. Remember when I said that J doesn't like ribs? Well, he got this anyway. And it turned out that much of it was fatty as well (which is why he doesn't like ribs), but this was fine, because I ate the fatty bits for him. I've never had cranberry beans before, and they were delicious! This was a good pick.
I went with the french toast. Oh my gosh! This was some of the best french toast I've ever had. It's made with thick acme bread, and it just melts in your mouth. It was served with raspberry and peach sauce and creme fraiche, along with syrup. I loved it, loved it, loved it.

Service is good, and food comes out really fast, considering how crowded and busy it is! They really know how to be efficient here! The place is small and adorable too, with a bit of outdoor dining. I can see why it's so popular! Definitely worth trying for dinner!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home