foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: The Oakmont Pub

Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Oakmont Pub

One of my favorite places within (almost) walking distance from my house is the Oakmont National Pub. It's a nice, relaxing, and unpretentious neighborhood spot, with a surprisingly good selection of beers and some good food. The spot used to be an actual bank, hence the "national" in the name. Some time during my childhood days, this used to be another restaurant. Then one day it burned down. And from the ashes rose up the Oakmont.

When you walk in, there's a sizable bar, the kitchen in the middle, and some booths on the side. There is also an outside dining area, which they call their "outdoor beer garden." I wouldn't go quite that far, but it is outdoors, and during the cold months, it's enclosed and heated. There is also a very small dining area upstairs, which overlooks the entire downstairs.

They have regular bar fare, burgers, salads, some pasta dishes, seafood, veal, and some of the most humongous cheesesteaks you've ever witnessed in your life. They also have a great selection of beers on draft (no bud or miller lite pints here) as well as a full booze bar.




J ordered the french onion soup as an appetizer. He almost damn near burned his mouth off. But he still liked it. He also got the meatloaf. It came with mashed potatoes, gravy, and some beautiful looking garlicky green beans.




I went with something I'd had before and liked, turkey pot pie. I still liked it, but it was a bit saltier than I would have preferred. I probably also wouldn't have minded if the puffed pastry was cooked a bit more. But otherwise, still good.

We were sitting upstairs, but the service was just fine. They did not forget about us up there. We're in the burbs, so you can still smoke here, which is a bummer, but I guess you just have to deal with it. On a surprising note, there was strangely good music playing here the whole night. I certainly did not expect to hear Teagan and Sara, Spoon, Modest Mouse, and the like from the stereo at the Oakmont. I thought for sure it would just be some sports game or country or black eyed peas all night. I really like this place. I will like it even more when it goes non-smoking. So hurry up Ed Rendell!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At February 28, 2008 at 3:14 PM , Blogger uncle jonny 5 said...

Duuuuude, the frenchie on'yon soup at The Oakmont is the off the hizzle, fo' shizzle. Or my name ain't J. Mizzle.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home