foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: Japanese Curry

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Japanese Curry

So the curry rice dish from Sang Kee inspired me to cook some curry. I don't like typical curries you may find in an indian or thai restaurant, for those have coconut milk. I have this strong aversion to it. It's not that I unlike coconut, but I don't like coconut milk in my food, and I only like coconut for certain things. So it's not my favorite thing in the world, but I'd certainly love a hot fresh macaroon now and then.


I like curry in the japanese way. I'm not sure what kind of curry powder it's made from (definitely not red or green), it's tan. And it typically comes with potatoes, onions, carrots, and some type of meat. I grew up on this stuff as my mom often made it growing up. It always seemed so exotic.


They sell the flavoring blocks in packages. It's basically the curry powder and other stuff made into these things shaped like thick candy bars. It comes in different spicy ranges, mild, medium, and hot. I prefer mild. I don't like cooked carrots, so I just took chicken and onions and cooked them, added some chopped up potatoes that I'd pre-steamed, and then added the water and the curry mix. You cook it up for awhile and then pour it over rice or noodles. It's so easy and delicious.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home