foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: The cutest little Japanese market

Thursday, April 19, 2007

The cutest little Japanese market


There's this Cherry Blossom Festival thing going on in the Philadelphia area. Last Saturday, they were having a japanese food tasting at this japanes marketin Narberth - Maido. I've never been to it before, even though it's very close to my house. I thought this would be a good opportunity to check it out and taste some good food, for free.

The market is very cute. I would say 95% of the food is Japanese, and the rest various Asian. They even have a food counter so you can get some hot food. So far as this food tasting goes, they made it out to be alot bigger than it actually was. They did give away some ginger flavored miso soup, which was weird, some japanese pancake called okonomiyaki, which was pretty good, some sushi rice sprinkled with mixed seaweed, which I just loved, a few different drinks, snacks, and desserts. But it certainly didn't fill you up! We were hoping to make a lunch out of it. Ha. I did pick up a few things and it's nice to know that a missing ethnic ingredient can be had only 5 minutes away. And if I ever feel the need for some yakisoba, I know where to go.



So in order to eat real lunch, we ended up at Sang Kee Asian Bistro again. I ordered the roasted pork wonton noodle. It came with some shu mei type dumplings and roasted pork. The pork was delicious. The broth itself was very bland, which I expected because it just comes in a chicken broth, but with a little hot sauce, it tastes just great. We also had a house special noodle bowl, which was much bigger, and had a little bit of everything.

On the non-soup side, we had an order of penang baked seafood fried rice. That was delicious, in a curry sauce with seafood, including scallops. It seemed like an asian paella. I'm a big fan of this, and next time I will order this. Also, the seafood pan fried noodle, which is in a ginger wine glazed sauce with big bits of seafood with crispy thin egg noodles. This is plain, but tasty. Finally, we had the beef mei fun in black pepper sauce. I expected this to be very spicy and peppery, but it actually was quite good and not heavily peppery. As usual, the service was pretty good. I also noticed that at their bar, they have little built in TVs into the bar so you can eat and watch TV. Strange.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home