foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: BYO Capogiro

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

BYO Capogiro

A few different people had been talking about Lolita a few weeks ago, and then suddenly I had a chance to go. It is an adorable little BYOB in center city. It's very small with cozy little teeny tables. The decor is quite minimalist, with brick walls and plain tables and a painting or two. I heard there was cute pottery in the bathrooms!

So Lolita is a byob, but it's known as a byot, bring your own tequila. They happily allow you to bring your own tequila while they provide pitchers of margarita mix. They have the traditional lime as well as certain seasonal mixes. During my visit they offered traditional, blood orange, and blackberry. We went with the blackberry, which came with blackberry puree, thai basil, and sugared rimmed glasses. I didn't put any booze in mine as I had to drive, but the virgin margarita was really, really, really good! I could have just drank it as a meal. But I didn't!


We got some guacamole and queso with chorizo, and they also gave us some salsa, one green, one red, along with mixed chips. The mixed chips included corn, malanga, and plantain. They were good, and so was the salsa, especially the red, as it had a nice kick. The guacamole was good but nothing too exciting. I didn't try the queso but it looked like it would probably be salty. That came with some home made hot corn tortillas.


I decided to go with the enchiladas verdes with chipotle shrimp. I had remembered some enchiladas verders I'd had in Mexico City so I was in an enchilada type mood. The enchiladas came with shiitake mushrooms, but since I don't like mushrooms, I just went without them. The enchiladas themselves were really good, even though there was really only cheese in them, and so were the shrimp. The dish came with herbed rice and refried beans. The beans didn't really seems refried, they seemed fairly whole, and they were good. I don't recall there being much herbed rice. I think it was mixed up with the beans, but it seems relatively bean heavy.

Some of the other entrees also looked quite good. A few people got the chicken breast. I almost got the duck. I think someone got the pork chop? Is it a pork chop? or is it a big lamb chop? I don't know. I'm bad with my chop knowledge. They are also somewhat vegetarian friendly as you can get pretty much any of the entrees substituted with tofu or portobello mushrooms.



They did have a dessert menu but they disappointed me by saying they were out of the creme brulee. It is a ginger-vanilla creme brulee. Damn it. But that's ok, because instead, we went to feed my new Capogiro addiction. This time, I had kiwi and asian pear. I've never tasted something that tasted so much like asian pear other than a real asian pear! It is rather freakish. Once again, the kiwi kicked ass. Once again, I'm still dreaming about it!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At March 23, 2007 at 10:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

that looks awesome!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home