foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: Karma Karma Karma Chameleon

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Karma Karma Karma Chameleon

On Friday the 13th, we tested our luck and dined at Karma, an Indian restaurant in old City. It's a fairly classy joint. Fancy decorations, cloth napkins, extensive wine menu. They have a lunch buffet that I hear is fabulous, for dinner, no such buffet.

I love indian food. As shocking as it may be, for someone who just loves food and eats an awful lot, I never had it until about 8 years ago. At the time, I worked with an adorable little old indian man. I swear to you the guy was 72. Seriously. And on my last day there, he took me to eat indian food for the first time. I loved it, and I was hooked forever.

I live near one of the "best" indian restaurants in the Philadelphia area. I won't name it because I had the absolute worst customer service experience I've ever had in my entire life there. And I won't ever go back there. Not ever. I pass it twice a day, on my way to and back from work. I crave their food. But man, they ticked me off so much, and my friends so much, that I can't ever go back there again. SIGH.



In any case, I was definitely excited about eating indian food. I usually always get chicken tikka masala. Not very adventurous, I know, but hey, I love it. I even "make" it at home with the stuff I buy in a jar. C was getting it, so I decided to mix it up by getting butter chicken. Haha. It's pretty much the same, except here, the butter chicken had pieces of chicken, and the chicken tikka masala had big cubes of chicken. They were both great. We also got naan, of course. I have eaten it as a meal before I love this stuff so much. We had garlic naan and also kandhari naan, which was filled with pistachios, raisins, and almonds. Everybody loved that one, I didn't try it.



Some of the veggie dishes that were ordered included chana peshwari (chickpeas), saag paneer (cheese cubes), mattar paneer (cheese cubes), veggie biryani (rice). I'm certainly not a vegetarian, and would rarely order a veggie dish. However, all these were incredible. I especially loved the mattar paneer. It was just friggin good.

There were some other dishes ordered, but I have no idea what they were. The best one to show is this green chicken dish. I haven't a clue as to what it is. It's chicken, that I know. It's freakishly bright green, that I also know. How they got it this color, I have no idea. It certainly is fun to look at. I tasted it and liked it, but I can't describe it. Is green a flavor? In all, this was some of the best indian food I've ever had. I highly recommend it! Service is pretty good and prices are reasonable.

After dinner, we walked on over to Franklin Fountain. This place is as cute as can be. It's run by two brothers from Media and they serve old fashioned ice cream and fountain drinks. It's a beautifully decorated places with lots of old-timey everything.


The ice cream boys wear cute little aprons and little hats. They write down the orders on little slips of paper. And they hand make everything, including the delicious ice cream. I had a ladies choice ice cream soda. It was raspberry soda with peach ice cream and whipped cream. It was bright pink and it was lovely. It's the perfect ending on a warm summer evening. Good friends, good food, good ice cream.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At July 19, 2007 at 12:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Butter chicken is one my favorites too. I'll have to check out Karma as Indian food is something I've been craving lately. Yum.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home