foodzings

has been moved to new address

http://www.foodzings.com/

See you there!!!

foodzings: Fajita Fest!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Fajita Fest!

This past weekend was beautiful, and perfect for a bbq. A fajita fest was had in Fairmount park on Saturday. Hosted by a native Texan, W was super serious about it. You should have seen all the meat, chicken, shrimp, and veggies that he spent hours marinading. It was quite impressive. You should have seen E’s grill too. It was a professional grill with 3 sets of burners, perfect for fajita meat cooking. We were all in awe of it. It’s portable, to boot, and can be put together in 3 minutes.


I myself had to bring some vittles, so I brought some skirt steak. Skirt steak is really the cut of meat you want to use when making fajitas. It’s a cheap cut of meat, or at least it’s supposed to be. If you’re in texas it’s cheap, if you’re in Pennsylvania, it’s not. Pish. It took me many trips to random grocery stores to find it. It’s like hunting for treasure! And when I did, I found it at my nearest crappy Super Fresh, and I snagged the last one. Because it’s tough, it has to be marinaded. So here’s a pseudo-recipe that I got from the Big T, another Texan.

Skirt steak fajitas:

Skirt steak (good luck finding this)
A beer (ideally Shiner Bock, but Yuengling Lager works too)
Lime juice (a good amount of it)
Chopped garlic (I used a lot)
Sliced onions (again, a lot)
Hot sauce – vinegar based (I used crystal’s and threw in a bunch of swigs)


Really, I don’t know exact amounts so just make it up as you go, that’s what I did and it worked out just fine. Let this marinade for at least 12 hours, making sure all of the meat is covered. Rotate it a bit as it’s marinading in your fridge. Then grill it up, to maybe medium, or however y’all like it. For the fixins we had guacamole, W’s homemade salsa, cilantro, sour cream, cheeses, and such. Really, put whatever you want on it. It’s all good. It was a good first bbq of the season, I’m hoping for a lot more. I’m also hoping I find some better places to find reasonably price skirt steak. Let me know if you know of any!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home